- Freeman, J., Redler Hawes, H. (2019) The Evolution of the ODI Data as Culture Art Programme in Art Hack Practice: Critical Intersections of Art, Innovation and the Maker Movement, Eds. Victoria Bradbury, Suzy O’Hara.
- Freeman, J. (2019) Rodentia Rise, Interior Futures, Crucible Press, California.
- Freeman, J., (2019) Article in #Nodes. Entangling Sciences and Humanities. Eds. Gustavo Ariel SCHWARTZ and Víctor BERMÚDEZ. Intellect Books, Bristol 540 pp.
- Freeman, J. (2018) A friendly introduction to AI proves oddly unnerving, New Scientist.
- Freeman, J. (2018) Defining Data as an Art Material, Queen Mary University of London (PhD thesis)
- Freeman, J., Redler Hawes, H., Data as Culture, a series of articles and data artist interviews published by British Council’s Digital Economy programme (2018). Including:
- Borland, H., Freeman, J., Hastings, J. J. A., Hessels, S., & Klein, T. (2018). Self-Willed: Flux and Reaction in Systems, Organisms and Materials. 24th International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA2018), Durban, South Africa.
- Freeman, J., Wiggins, G., Starks, G., Sandler, M. (2017) A Concise Taxonomy for Describing Data as an Art Material OPEN ACCESS concise version, MIT Press
- Freeman, J., Wiggins, G., Starks, G., Sandler, M. (2015) A Concise Taxonomy for Describing Data as an Art Material Proceedings of IEEE Vis, Chicago
- Freeman, J. (2013a). On Collecting Anecdata. In L. Beloff, E. Berger, & T. Haapoja (Eds.), Field_Notes – from Landscape to Laboratory (1st ed., pp. 196–207). Helsinki: The Finnish Society of Bioart.
- Freeman, J., Eng, K. (2013). The butterfly effect: Fellows Friday with Julie Freeman. TED, vol. 1(issue 79). Retrieved from http://blog.ted.com/2013/02/01/the-butterfly-effect-fellows-friday-with-julie-freeman/
- Freeman, J. (2013). Position Statement in Taylor, R., Hook, J., Schofield, G., Ladha, J., Bowers, J., Wright, P. (Eds.) Workshop on Crafting Interactive Systems: Learning from Digital Art. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems – CHI 2013, Paris, France, April 27, 2013.
- Freeman, J., MacDonald, S., Eds. (2012). Data as Culture. London: The Open Data Institute. Retrieved from http://issuu.com/translatingnature/docs/data_as_culture_a4
- An essay on my work by Martin Kemp, Emeritus Professor of the History of Art, Oxford University and world-renowned authority on Leonardo da Vinci is included in a book published in May 2012 by Market Project.
- Freeman, J. (2012). Translating Nature. Filter, vol. 1(issue 79). Retrieved from http://filter.org.au/issue-79/translating-nature/
- J. Freeman and J. J. Ramsden, in Particular – art & science from the tiniverse, (HAPPEN (ISBN 978-0-9557652-6), 2009) Copies available on request.
- The Nanoscale, J. J. Ramsden and J. Freeman, (Nanotechnol. Perceptions (ISSN 1660-6795) vol. 5 (2009) pp. 3-25 oh)
- Mmmmm. Momentum, Motivation, Money. J. Freeman (Node.London Reader II, METAMUTE (ISBN 978-1-90649633-3), 2008)
- The Lake is featured in:
* Art + Science Now, How scientific research and technological innovation are becoming key to 21st-century aesthetics, Stephen Wilson, Thames & Hudson, 2010 ISBN: 978-0-50023-868-4
* Evolution Haute Couture: Art and Science in the Post-Biological Age, 1 Volume – Practice, Edited by Dmitry Bulatov, KB NCCA, Kaliningrad, 2009 ISBN: 978-5-94620-054-7
For selected press coverage, see are.na board.